spinning my wheels

i love riding my bicycle.  always have, ever since i was a little girl going back and forth along the driveway.  i've even tried the gravity-defying velodrome bikes and faithfully watch the tour de france every july.

traffic being certifiably insane and bike lanes not yet as prolific as a city boasting being "a city of bikes" might be, i decided to take an indoor spinning class instead.  reasoning, "if i fall off, at least it's my own fault."

a giftcard for a local exercise gym burning a hole in my pannier pocket, i signed up for a "tone + ride".  i arrived early, changed into my clip shoes and entered a dark room with disco-like strobe lights.  adjusting my bike, grabbing weights, putting my water in the holder, i started to warm up.

an instructor about the width of my pinky finger came in.  music came on.  "standing.  rpm 90-105, let's go!"  she called out.  no problem.  my bike light went from resting white and easy blue into the green, yellow and red, or "fire" level.  "back down and arms, three, two, one, clap!"  not on your life, twiggy, i thought to myself, this is not natural.

i obliged the heart rate, but trying to keep up with her meant i came unclipped three times, lost my stride and, because i failed to want to do aerobics and lift weights and dance in time to the music while on a bicycle, decided to sit down and enjoy my ride.  luckily it was dark and i had chosen an inconspicuous spot toward the back of the room where i was already thinking about the bacon i would cook for breakfast the next morning.

meanwhile, the legs of the rider in front of me were spinning so fast they were only a blur.  "great job *marcia, try to beat 135 and hold that speed.  crank it up, people, hold steady, fire level!"

i missed the tree-lined streets and pace outside at which to enjoy the view. but i also wanted to live.  toweling off, i filed out, thanked the instructor, and realized how happy i am to go at my own pace instead of spinning my wheels.

i do love trying new things.  and think it's important to shake up our routines, get out of our comfort zones, and be stretched.  but at the same time, it's equally important that we know ourselves, what best motivates us, and what we're more likely to continue doing because it fits who we are.

what is something you've tried because you thought it was a good idea or to keep up with others that served to confirm for you your own style and pace?

*names have been changed to protect people who work out at ungodly speeds


Comments

  1. I’ll have to carry your query with me for awhile. In the meantime, “Not on your life, Twiggy!” is a phrase I’ll enjoy over and over in my head 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good. I'm very obliging and rule-following. When pressed, however, my sarcasm and inner rebel come out to have a play date together once in a while!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts