a glass of water

in my two jobs, teaching and the service industry, i am constantly calculating and anticipating the needs around me. 

my eyes scan the scene and deduce how many things i can efficiently carry on my next pass through either environment, usually swooping up and throwing away trash simultaneously.

so much so that i have to turn this service feature off in some regard when i am out in public enjoying coffee or a meal with friends. (i've also learned that tipping with cash vs. credit better benefits the servers).

while perusing one of my favorite boutiques yesterday, the store worker came out from behind the counter and simply asked if i would like a glass of water?

this small but genuine act of service both surprised and delighted me! it was already my favorite store (beautiful, well-curated, affordable) but more than that, they always remember my name, my favorite linen line, and have such good relationships with one another that the store has a magnetic vibe of joy. 

as i gratefully accepted the refreshment, we began sharing, talking, laughing...it reminded me of a quote i had read in a magazine, "the heart of hospitality is truly caring about the people you serve."

what has surprised or delighted you in this regard?

Comments

Popular Posts