pony express

just another day in paradise to sleep in, brew coffee, pick fresh blueberries...i turned 36 today and celebrated by having my family over. since i like to host, we grilled and finished off with cobbler. i even found the baseball glove dad gave me when i was 10 and we played catch in the backyard. a few rounds of lawn darts...

...when my neighbor came down the driveway on her horse (a purebred morgan no less) calling out "pony express, special birthday delivery!" to hand me my card and ask if i wanted a ride. now, i've been feeding and helping to care for this horse, anastastia or "stasia" for short, for about 15 years now, but have never actually ridden her. i've loved horses all my life and have absolutely no fear of ordinary barn or trail horses. purebreds with arabian in them? well, i'd like to live at least another 36 years.

today it hit me: i've been afraid of this beautiful chocolate brown wonder because she is too much like me--full of fire, passionate, spirited, strong-willed. and horses know when you're afraid, in this case, of myself. yes, i am uneasy about those very same things in me. so to be able to ride her today was significant. to turn 36 and not only not be afraid of yourself, but to feel quietly confident about your own strength under control? now that's a happy birthday surprise indeed.

Comments

Popular Posts