renewal

renewal and reconnection just feel good.  i think we're hardwired for restoration.  the longer we love people, the more it is inevitable that we will bump into their brokenness.  maybe, like me, you've lost a friend lately.  and maybe, like me, you didn't want them to disappear, and you've tried reaching out to no avail.  

we can only receive what we're given.

not wanting anyone else to feel even a sliver of that pain or rejection, i did a relationship inventory, as much as depends on me.  a name of someone rose to the surface.  life and time had seen us drift, but we'd always enjoyed good friendship. 

the last thing i wanted was more sting of rejection or pain, so my first instinct was to play it safe and pull into myself like a hermit crab into its shell.  but renewal invited me to reach out.  after all, i had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

i took the chance to reach out and we visited for over five hours!  coffee turned into sharing some avocado toast and before we knew it we were all caught up on the last fifteen + years.  it was such a joyous reunion!  hugging me, they thanked me for reaching out and i hugged back, saying it was definitely worth it.

regeneration in nature amazes me.  even more so, the human heart.

Comments

Popular Posts