dear french press

dear french press,

when your glass body cracked and broke against the kitchen sink tonight, well, it was like losing a friend. i just stood there, dish gloves still on, in disbelief. then a "n-o-oooooooo" escaped my lips and i held you there for a while, picking up your pieces. i didn't realize that not only were you my favorite kitchen tool par excellence, but we started every day together for months, the hot water kettle whistling our romance. then the stirring, the perfect percolation time followed by the smooth fit of the press against the sides...leaving only the perfect italian sludge of grounds beneath. on saturdays, we spent the whole day lounging side by side. i guess you could say i was addicted to you even more than the beverage you brewed. your simple elegance and ability to withstand the pressure of it all; so beautiful. i do have a coffee maker with filters i'm sorry to say, for the time being. i know that must sound like swear words coming from me--particularly at a time like this. how could i?! tomorrow morning won't be the same without you. all i can say is i will have to get another, a close relative of yours perhaps...but there is no replacing you.

love, lanette
p.s. for those of you following the "i'm sorry for your loss" coffee drama here, a dear friend has loaned me her french press in the interim, saying "friends don't let friends use filters". i couldn't agree more.
p.p.s. a fun clerk at a nearby kitchen store informed me that if i still had the frame, i didn't have to buy an entirely new press, just the glass. "there's a reason you missed garbage day" she called out after me. and yes, it's true, the lost has been found. washed, but found.

Comments

  1. oh, sad............but, um, can I just say, when you find yourself composing sonnets to household objects, it might be time to take yourself out on the town for the evening. just saying. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, thanks for watching out for me :) actually, i modeled the entry after a cool article a friend showed me; the author is an avid cyclist and took a break to snowshoe. she called it, "dear bicycle", things like "i'll come back to you, i promise, etc." very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm right there with you. Anything happens to my source of caffeine in the morning and I'll be writing symphonies of anguish and ballads of deepest grief. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i finally bought a new french press. the store clerk was charming and tried to sell me a $1,500 machine that did everything but figure your taxes for you. banter was had, as well as a great illy coffee sample latte. he did not, however, persuade me to join the mailing list or spend a month's salary in one stop. but he was charming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts