you've been cloved!

my friend showed me how to clove an orange. i'd never done that before. his was already done and starting to dry. you probably already know this, but come to find out, the cloves have this mummifying effect on the citrus and then you can decorate and hang it for the holidays. i started out sitting on the couch until the holes started spurting and i realized i had to get serious. moving to the floor and getting closer to my task, i resumed poking. the spices jabbed my thumb (you might need a thimble) sometimes refusing to go in as i tried, somewhat in vain, to make a pretty pattern. i settled for mere even placement for my first try. "my orange has been cloved!" i announced to everyone amid the running juice and mess of my fingers; their home warm as people cooked, came and went, warmed themselves by the fire. life is messy and stabs at us sometimes; but the few people who truly, truly know and love us have this powerful preserving effect on our broken places; the fragrance of belonging.

Comments

  1. I cloved an apple in 5th grade as part of a unit on ancient Egypt. We "mummified" them, covering them completely in cloves. I'm pretty sure it's still in my desk drawer at my parent's house, some 19 years later. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts