receiving

i'm a giver. gifts are a huge part of my love language and it's so much fun to get things ready for others. and i love to cook for people or go out for shared meals. this year, my church put me on the list to receive a thanksgiving box. when i was employed there, part of my job was to get the kids involved with bringing food donations. but me, now on the receiving end? the word "charity" came to mind in a most uncomfortable way. i wasn't homeless or out of work. in fact, i had just been made full time at work and was doing fine. i couldn't possibly receive it, could i?

when i picked it up, there was so much food i had to make three trips from the church kitchen to my car. everything from pie crusts and olives to rolls and a 16-pound turkey! cupboards, pantry and freezer full, i stepped back and thought about it again. disarming as it was, we give AND receive in community. the food was a tangible thing and the feeling of being cared for slowly snuck up on me. i wasn't used to it, but it felt good. together with others we are healed, we are loved, we are fed if we allow ourselves to be.

thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts