public displays of attention

instead of a birthday party this year, i had an idea to gather friends and host a public listening booth.  while it is an intriguing thought, i quickly realized how tired i was and that, ironically, i needed to be listened to instead.  

the irony made me laugh at myself, as i desire to not take myself too seriously as i age and yet by the same token take my needs seriously.  so i took my own *hints, caught myself, and made an appointment with my spiritual director as it had been far too many months since i had experienced the gift of deep listening for myself.

(if you're familiar with the Enneagram, i'm a classic 2.  when in balance and my authentic self i experience a resonance with community that is wonderful and employs my giftings.  when out of balance or tired can feel sorry for myself and struggle to recognize and acknowledge my own negative emotions.  a growth point for me this year is to try to gain a quicker awareness of my own needs without shame and ask for what i need in a more direct fashion.)

anyway, i'll include the link here because i think the societal experience is a fun one!  it's also one of reciprocity, as you'll see in the article it's not about us being "the listener" as in a superior manufactured role, but rather it's about creating an opportunity for exchange of story that needs not be intense or deep (although it could be) but could equally encompass story-telling, memories, poetry, a song, joke, or just prattling away about the day with someone that you might not ordinarily come into contact with.  story corps is along these same lines.

the fact that there are no expectations or investment of relationship seems freeing and could contribute in some way to a great sense of community, of give and take; kindness and freedom.

i'm intrigued by the idea of making space for that and, while i rest and build up my own reserves, thought i would share it.  i'd still like to do it someday.  or, if you decide to, let us know how it goes!

public displays of attention

Comments

Popular Posts