princess shoes and widowhood

six various pink and purple sequined shoes lined my entry way. inside, crayons flew and the small owners of the shoes asked for marshmallows as the older women sipped hot spiced wine. struck by the tenderness with which my recently widowed friend held her husband's ring (newly fashioned into jewelry for her) i stood back and watched the generations mix together in my living room. a true "6-60" gathering; microcosm of shared human experience.

one of the young girls would put her shoes back on to come out and sit by the fire, pointing to the night sky and saying, "up, up! mr. moon" in all of her innocence while other guests went home to care for their aging parents. i have that small girl in me as well as an old soul. i face most every day eagerly with wide eyes. on days i don't it is my confidence in life's ability to continue rolling forward that carries me. regardless of age, in some ways, one size does fit all if we're willing to go with someone that second mile and let them walk with us.

Comments

Popular Posts