under the same sun

i know i promised a wordstock update. it was great; i went with a poet friend of mine. we rode Max light rail and grabbed good coffee before perusing the booths. several business cards and poetry journals later, we knew that we should start submitting our own work.

and then one publishing house in particular stopped me short. they were displaying one of their books called simply "mentor: a memoir". i read the inside cover and it is the exact book that i am still trying to write. only it is authored by a man about his teacher. change the names to me and colleen and, well, it's pretty much our story.

that should inspire me right? actually, no. hence the late posting about last week's event. it makes me wonder if i should just keep the story inside knowing it is as much a part of me as my own dna. once outside of me, will it cheapen? truly there is nothing new under the sun, only the times and faces have been changed.

Comments

  1. "several business cards and poetry journals later, we knew that we should start submitting our own work."

    Finally! Yay....can't wait for your first publication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes...true...there is nothing new under the sun. however, there are new ways of saying things. new word to put to universal experiences. maybe yours are the exact ones that someone yet unnamed needs to hear. i know i, for one, support you writing your story and sharing it with us! i know it will be meaningful and well worth reading! in fact, i can't wait to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "there are new ways of saying things" thank you. i too have always believed this, maybe just need extra time and encouragement on this particular project.

    i did send 5 poems off to a northwest poetry journal this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you do write about it- In any shape way or form. I love hearing about you and Colline's story, and I know others do/will too : )
    I hope your poetry makes it in! I'd love to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i sorted all of colleen's and my letters this week. harder emotional work than i thought and made me miss her like never before. i'm ok and started to try to look for some themes or angles for writing her story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts