societal Q & A

who hasn't asked or been asked a bad question from someone who was well-intentioned?
these are classic.

Q: were you close?
A: no that's why i can't stop crying at the memorial. we never actually met.

Q: so is it a boy or a girl, when is your due date?
A: we plan on having a unisex alien with a gestational date of at least 13 months.

Q: so what do you do?
A: actually, i'm out on good behavior right now for violent acts against people who ask bad questions.

today i was asked the following at least 5 different times by various people in multiple social settings,

Q: so why aren't you married?!

various answers from the last 18 years came to mind. but what i actually ended up saying was, "you know, there's a lot of love in my life. it's just not in the form of one man right now. so to answer your question, i actually have no idea. why are you married?"

Comments

  1. Heh. I think I'm totally going to start using the "Why are you married?" response. :o)

    I'm also surprised by some of the questions I get from total strangers about the skin graft on my cheek: "Were you bit by a dog or something?" "Ohhh, were you burned in a fire? I have a cousin who was burned... blah, blah, blah." The one that really threw me was at the zoo this summer. I had our big, beautiful red-tail hawk on my arm. This boy, probably around age 10, looks straight past the bird at my face and says "How did that happen?" in front of a whole crowd. I think he was hoping it was caused by one of the raptors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, considering on of the times you were asked that question, the asker was my nephew, that makes a bit of sense, since I think my five year old has more maturity than he does. But seriously, the things people ask!! Who cares if someone's married or not?! Having a partner does not make you any more or less interesting of a person to get to know. Whether or not you're married is merely a stat, another reference point for your life. Besides, what do they think the answer to that questions is going to be? "I'm in the witness protection program and I haven't been able to settle down long enough to meet someone." "I've taken a vow of celibacy with my cult." "I have really messed up feet that I don't want anyone to see." No, the answer is going to be mostly the same anywhere and more importantly, none of your damn business, particularly if you don't know the person well. Same goes for asking someone about their skin grafts.

    Raptors. . . now that is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you both have me laughing...hard!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts