space-givers

first blog entry of september and my extrovert & multitasking muscles are tired. i seem to have settled (for the first time in my life!) into an almost subterraneous peace sharable only with animals and young babies--who unknowingly serve as my litmus test of calm. while the pace is picking up (315+ students per week) i plan to keep honing my observation skills.

yesterday, after falling asleep in my car, i sat on a bench at school for hours. relishing the quiet, i noted the fir trees playing host to campus birds. will they be scared away come wednesday? will i? can i be present and attend to volumes of people in meaningful ways?

desiring to be a person who gives space (as opposed to just taking up space), today i worked in the yard for one of the last real times, scaring up flying grasshoppers and pre-hibernating lady bugs. a deer and i shared the yard, both of us feeling like a snack of blackberries. he didn't run away from me, so the peace must still be here. here's to carrying it with me into the happy mayhem.

Comments

Popular Posts