in praise of routine and adventure

i love the rhythm of routine and adventure.

this quote summarizes my contentment regard to the former, "what is it about my daily rituals? why such pleasure in repetition? well, it occurs to me that i might just be practicing...being me. those cherished creaks in the old floorboards. the precise angle of sun cheering my kitchen. assembling ingredients for a dish i've made hundreds of times. a novel position my pets have adopted, lost in their midday dreams. each nuance resonates with a kind of timeless wisdom, and i realize that it is these humble putterings--nothing fancier--that have allowed me, finally, to know myself." (david jacoby)

as for the latter? i am going to be spending the next week with 73 foster kids at camp. every minute is an adventure because you never know what's going to happen next and need to be prepared for anything. i'm never quite prepared, however, for the expansion of heart that happens. the capacity for love is redefined every single year.

just to show how adventures find us, i spent time listening to a person at work this year who'd taken on the foster parenting challenge. i had no idea, however, that i would have their foster children at camp this week. the daughter is even in my cabin! i got to meet them and answer questions they had and tell them all about the cool things we'll get to do together. coincidence? i think not!

Comments

Popular Posts