in it together

here are some things that, in general, help me to enjoy good mental health...especially right now:

routine
setting an alarm and getting ready for work, even if it's at my own kitchen table, is a secret those who work from home already know.  being a list-maker helps as well.  today's list looked something like this, "refund event tickets, update website, webinar, go for a walk, plant flowers, read, crochet, paint."  some structure gives a locus of control which in turn helps in keeping a calm, rational outlook.

empathy
for the first time in my life ever seeing an empty bread aisle, i stepped to one side of the aisle with my cart and paused.  for some reason,  my imagination created the image of being an elderly russian woman decades ago waiting in line for four hours for one loaf of bread to feed my family of nine.  when i came back to the present moment, it was still a novel experience, but not insurmountable.  this also gave me an opportunity to ask my parents about stories they remember of their parents having ration cards during WWII.  my eyes welled up with tears of joy when i read about sports stadiums giving their concession food to the homeless and people giving things up for those who need them more, looking not only to their own interests, but also to the interests of others.

time
not everyone has this in equal measure right now depending on their profession.  for the busiest among us, asking how we can help or what resources we can offer is kind, as is just a simple "thank you for stocking the shelves for us, i appreciate you."  for those with more time than usual on their hands, i've enjoyed watching people get outside.  couples going for walks together, families riding bikes together and playing on the playground.  things like that we'll never regret.

humor
enough news to stay informed, current, and safe is enough for me.  then i turn off the headlines and literally plug into my favorite shows, which happen to be british murder mysteries and old, literary movies starring classic actors and actresses.  as my dad reminds me, it's essential to laugh and look for the unfolding gift of joy in each day.

creativity
our brains are hardwired for survival and constantly on the lookout for perceived threats but not as much when otherwise engaged in a consuming task.  learning a new skill, focusing on what we can do, and looking for ways to improvise can not only transform a situation but can lead to growth mindset innovation otherwise untapped.

nature
fresh air and green spaces are always a balm to the soul.  just getting my hands dirty is therapeutic for me, but with some sun in the forecast, i especially look forward to tending our new baby chicks and putting planter pots back outside.  the poet hopkins' line "...and yet for this, nature is never spent, there lives the dearest, freshest, deep down things..."

what about you?  what's been a positive or helpful idea for your mental health lately?



Comments

Popular Posts