in search of guascas

i'm in search of it, and now i know it doesn't exist in portland markets, maybe not even in the USA...guascas, the herb for use in making the traditional colombian dish ajiaco. 

my aunt gave me the recipe and i had everything else for making it except this.  so, wanting to be authentic (and already being authentically stubborn) blondie here literally went into every latino and world market in this great city of ours to be answered with quizzical looks, "no...not here in this market, maybe try..."

even the colombian food cart folks looked at me and shrugged.

i think you can order it from amazon, but i've already promised dinner for friends.  so, short of flying to bogota, i will have to settle for cumin, cilantro, and the closest guascas substitute of oregano.

here is a recipe if you want to try it out at home:  colombian ajiaco recipe

and let me know if you are successful at finding the guascas!


Comments

  1. my aunt found some at a Colombian restaurant and is mailing it to me, so stay tuned for authentic round #2!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts