dear sky

dear sky

this note is to explain after my death, if there is anyone left, what i was trying to do. 
toward the last i was protecting my friends by my careful indifference.  oh, i greeted them, and acted as usual, but i didn't let on what i felt--that terrible tide of knowing that came to me.  you, sky, are so far that i felt sorry for you, and i began to know that all of us are lost--everyone just as lonely.  it is all the way through the universe to reach anyone.  and i began to leave, so i could stand it.  now it is cold where i live--rain.  few come near, nobody comes.  and everything keeps to a separate way.  when the winds go over they all talk of one storm that they plan someday.  even if anyone thought of me now, and of those other times, no one would care, this far.  but i send this note, dear sky.  i love you, sky.  your friend, a cloud

by william stafford

Comments

Popular Posts