aesthetics, i presume

i've decided i DO, afterall, want to get my PhD. with apologies to those of you reading who have real ones, i want to do an honorary degree. i guess a better way to put it is, "unofficial". basically, i can't afford to go deeper and deeper into student loan debts, i.e. paying someone somewhere to work my tail off so i would make it up as i went along.

i want to study Aesthetics. the entire branch of design and how it relates to theology (just seeing titles in italics like summa theologica gives me goosebumps!). not only that, but beauty and its connection to math, science, literature, music and nature by looking for patterns and making connections.

first i would choose book titles. in the style of a classical education, the authors would be my teachers. after i read about 900 of these, i'd have to find people (you?) to discuss the ideas with. then, after crafting hours--amounting to the rest of my natural life--of papers, i would then receive my "diploma", conferred upon me by several of my closest friends. seriously, they could sign it and everything. we could even have crabcakes and champagne. i think mounting it in one of those nifty 8 x 10 frames from fred meyer would be enough to feel like Dr. Smith.

Comments

  1. I hereby confer upon my friend the right to pursue an 'unofficial' degree in the subject(s) of her choosing. I drink my coffee to you. cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will sign your degree.
    You are the coolest cousin ever. I want to be like you.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts