like dough, rising

as counter-intuitive as it sounds, i bake bread when i'm exhausted. on purpose. something about how long it takes and that yeast actually works somehow relaxes me.

the week following good friday and easter is my time of year to most identify with weakness and the inability to do things on my own strength. the creative output leaves me feeling as empty as the tomb itself. but ironically, just when i feel most flattened, more demands seem to come my way.

i am reminded that the forty days after easter, however, was a time of rich teaching; words about God's kingdom that we don't even have written down for us. add to that the ascension and the disciples' patient waiting...voila: fifty days to pentecost.

yeast works quietly. a little kneading goes a long way. and it has to be covered, hidden out of the way. this fresh loaf of bread lets me know that i will be ok. that we too will rise.

Comments

  1. I love that you bake bread even when you are tired. I adore the idea of making bread, but these days, even just thinking about it makes me tired. . . and nervous because I never know if the yeast is going to work or not! You have inspired me, tho, to maybe just go for some day, even when tired. I bet that wonderful, baking bread smell would help energize me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, it's me, Scott's better half who just wrote that comment, not Scott. Not sure why Scott's profile went up, but he's not getting the credit on this one! ha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts