the life & love of trees

this large tome of a coffee table book contains beautiful photos of trees around the world.  lewis blackwell's photography and writing really gives one pause to appreciate these unique vertical giants (and not-so-giants) among us.

it makes me glad i planted a tree over 10 years ago on the property my family owns in southern oregon.  a cedar sprig i received at the portland marathon finish line transported via bucket came to its new home, my grandpa tapping the dry ground with his cane.  he really did know the best place to plant it, in ground supported by early march springs.

thanks to the thoughtful watering done by my uncle in the dry summer months, not only did the cedar survive (the willow shoots were not as fortunate, although the deer enjoyed them) but is thriving and well on its way to being a legacy, like my grandma in whose honor it was planted.

this winter, when i was missing greenery, i wrote my life story from the perspective of trees, which was quite an intriguing experience since they are rooted and we come and go around them.  the writing exercise really caused me to appreciate them and our part in their story, since most of them will outlive us.

what's your favorite type of tree memory and why?

Comments

Popular Posts