sauces complete!

as you may know, i've embarked on a personal quest to teach myself the five sauces of classic french cuisine otherwise known as "the mother sauces".  having already whisked together bechamel, veloute, tomat, and hollandaise, espagnole remained.

it's turned out tasty to me, i think because i made my own beef stock (boiling together onions, garlic, and beef) and then straining off the broth and adding it, while still hot, to the roux mixture.  a little salt, a bit of creamed tomato and voila!

hardly worth a michelin star (the restaurant three-star rating originally started by the michelin tire brothers) but useful and delicious to my kitchen.  one reason i took my time in making these sauces rather than doing all five at once is because i wanted to actually use them with meals.

this one (i'm quite sure to the quelle horreur! of the french that i would even think of doing this to espagnole) is currently simmering with kamut, or khorasan wheat, the traditional grain of egypt. i plan to pour this, gravy-like, back atop the garlic and onion beef to serve with vegetables.

not the first to mix sauces and cultures, this reminds me...if you enjoy travel and cooking, you might really enjoy the movie "the hundred foot journey" starring helen mirren; definitely a 3-michelin star film in my mind.


Comments

Popular Posts