fiat lux & poet laureates

my friend was reading in a book and came across this phrase, "fiat lux".  "do you know what that means?" she asked.  not only did i not recognize it, but my more shallow inclination toward liking shiny cars kicked in and i must admit my first thought was not at all deep, but more along the lines of a luxury fiat model car. 

in between daydreaming about cars and looking up this phrase, Latin in origin it turns out, the Poet Laureate of Oregon telephoned me at school.  being as it is not every day that this happens, i was momentarily stunned.  "seriously?!" i said to the secretary via intercom, "elizabeth woody is on the phone...for me?!"

after finishing this call, (she is a very nice woman, the Poet Laureate of our Beloved State) i resumed my quest of "fiat lux".  it means "let there be light".  but the translation i found refreshing was slightly different--derived from the hebrew and greek--"let light be made".

because words matter to me and i love how they sound, i rolled this around out loud a few times to myself.

i may never own a luxury car.
i may never be an esteemed poet of an entire region.
but maybe, just maybe i can let light be made in and through my life. 


Comments

Popular Posts