finest hours

this was an amazing movie to experience!  (and, i might add, chris pine is not hard to look at).  based on a true story, "the finest hours" really puts you on the ship and into the waves.  in fact, at the end of the film, i was actually surprised not to be drenched with salt water, now that's an effective movie...

...the end will really have you appreciating the coast guard.  what's more, i saw the movie on feburary 18th, the same date as the rescue  back in 1952.

to further appreciate this film, i would recommend visitng astoria, one of the NW's most dangerous waterways, and reading the poem "crossing the bar" (reprinted here below) by alfred lord tennyson written in 1889.  it is worth noting this is tennyson's final work.


Sunset and evening star,
      And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
      When I put out to sea,

   But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
      Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
      Turns again home.

   Twilight and evening bell,
      And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
      When I embark;

   For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
      The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
      When I have crost the bar.

Comments

  1. Loved this film...and cheering for the good guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a great film...the powerful images stuck with me long after the movie was over!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts