a man called ove


 here are my two latest reads, both by frederik backman (a swedish blogger).  i don't know, but it seems to me that backman writes with a knowledge beyond his years, as if both books are based on stories from someone he knew.  how else could he create such laugh-out-loud humor and heartbreaking tenderness at once? maybe he's just that talented.

i liked the character ove immediately and, in fact, started to forget that he was fictional in favor of wishing he was real!  i couldn't wait to get back to my bookmark, thinking to myself, "i wonder what ove is up to!", having to remind myself that i couldn't just go round to the neighborhood, knock on his door and ask him myself.   the book gave me several belly laughs and i also shed a few little tears as i turned pages over a cup of tea.

backman's second novel is different, but just as unique in voice and characterization as the first.  he weaves together granny and elsa's secret language and fairy tales with reality in such innovative style...sweet without every being saccharine and realistic while still being hopeful.

i don't want to give too much away here, i think you may enjoy just reading them for yourself!

Comments

Popular Posts