to inscribe or not to inscribe?

in my continuous quest of decluttering, i wonder how much to go digital?  not that there will ever truly be an "upgrade-free" day in the world of technology, but if i wait long enough, maybe everything (radio, camera, movies, email, books, phone, kitchen sink...) will be streamed on ONE simple device?  the allure of sleek, slim and trim is before me:  downloading all of my music and books to a memory card or cd?  to kindle or not to kindle? (need i mention that for his birthday, one of my kindergarten students got a kindle!? at that age, my presents were along the lines of fingerpaint, neato soap crayons, and boats for bathtime, but i digress.) at any rate, i ditched my old radio alarm clock today because i like the first thing i hear in the morning to be birds, not bad news or car commercials.  i have an alarm on my cell phone, afterall.  that's where it started.  before i knew it i was tearing through my small space getting rid of items willy nilly.  i've done this several times and am careful about what i take in, so the fact that i could fill my car trunk with unneeded stuff yet again was a bit suprising and yet deeply satisfying.  and then:  the question of books.  that's a tough one.  so yes, i went through my library of books yet again today and pared down.  in other cleaning fits, if i see that someone has written an inscription to me in the book, i've usually kept it, but today i decided, "why not make someone else's life just a wee more interesting when they find it?"   it's fun for me to read the inside covers of books, afterall, 'to dear margaret on her 12th birthday, we hope your batmitzvah brings you happy memories for years to come, your loving mother and father' (favorite latke recipes) or maybe, 'for doris on her 70th birthday, may your garden continue to bloom as lovely as you, fondly, your grandaughter helen' (the joy of peonies) ...no, i can't say that i would mind anyone reading the inscriptions to me and it makes me wonder how many books i've written in that ended up in the hands of strangers via the rotary club book sale or local thrift store?  so when you see, 'to little lanettie on her 4th birthday, love auntie and unkie carpenter, 1978' (a children's treasury of verse) you'll know where it came from. inscribe already, it's much more interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts