bronte's best

highlights of my read in jane eyre thus (and yes i just typed thus) far?

the word "ameliorate". to improve upon or to make better. i love how it rolls off my tongue and plan to use it in ordinary conversation.

jane's epiphany on page 92, "...i sat down and tried to rest. i could not; though i had been on foot all day, i could not now repose an instant; i was too much excited. a phase of my life was closing tonight, a new one opening to-morrow: impossible to slumber in the interval; i must watch feverishly while the change was being accomplished." a woman of action after my own heart.

and what's more, she perfectly describes why i'm not a huge fan of opera. as a new governess, jane watches as young adele shows off her lyrical prowess by singing, "...it was the strain of a forsaken lady, who, after bewailing the perfidy of her lover, calls pride to her aid; desires her attendant to deck her in the brightest jewels and richest robes, and resolves to meet the false one that night at a ball, and prove to him, by the gaiety of her demeanor, how little his desertion has affected her."

ha! well done once again, charlotte bronte. stay tuned, i'm only on page 112.

Comments

  1. Think I'll use "ameliorate" on my kids. That will get their attention.

    You are inticing me to read Bronte when I have promised myself I will finish The Book of Margery Kempe.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are reading the book of margery kempe!? i did a research project on her in college for my "women & mystics" class. do let me know what you learn and enjoy about it, i love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half way through. Margery just returned to England from her pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

    Fascinating so far. I'll let you know when I finish it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts