small things, mended

 

this book is next on my list.  small things matter to me, as does mending.  when i get out my needle and thread to darn a sock or fix a tear, i think about my great grandmother for some reason, and about slowing down to pay attention; that mending matters, whether a favorite shirt or a heart. 

i think about kintsugi too, the gold in the cracks that makes our lives more, not less, valuable for the breaks.  there's a time to keep and a time to throw away.  but sometimes a little mending is all it takes to make all the difference between the two. 





as much as i love to read, sometimes i just want to look at pictures.  "it's a magazine-level day", i tell myself.  artist maira kalman has made another lovely book.  here's a photo from women holding things  

Comments

Popular Posts